Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pokerstars Irish Bridge Masters approaches Aug 3rd

Good evening all

I keep wandering over to Fergal O'Boyles website to check the entry list for the Pokerstars inaugural Irish Bridge Masters event. 42 pairs entered to date. 7 or 8 days to go.
With 5000 euro for the winnning pair it was bound to attract some hunter gatherers and there are a few in the field. Having a look thru the entries so far ... its no offence if I don't mention you ... as I am several years behind the current activities on the playing front. I mostly direct these days or move boards ..

Anna Onishuk Karel deRaeymaker regular winning pair on Irish circuit
BJ O'Brien David Jackson recently fairly successful in Ballina Congress
David Walsh Ciaran Coyne top Western hunter gathers even if one has moved to Cork
Eddie and Michael winners of last Tuesdays Ireland Imps Pairs
The one and only Fiona Brown Action Script programmer
Gay Keavney and Peter Goodman will have an eye on the podium
Hackett and Hydes .. I know those names from my Brighton visits ..
John Carroll Rory Boland ... they were opponents last night with hands I prepared
 Margot McClure ..I had a few whiskeys in her house in Enniskillen about 12 years ago and she was near 90 years of age then. I saw her playing this year in Drogheda Congress as I followed Justin Hackett and Richard Bowdry around the room. They were the pair in front of me
Irish Lady Milne internationals Gilliland and Whelan .. Whelan also dabbles in poker I am told.
Former Irish chess champion Paul Delaney smells some money partnering Marcin.
Paul Hackett and David Levy ... Hackett is everywhere and Levy has been around Donegal Congress sometimes.
Rory Egan and David Berber ... well known Irish bridge players
Brock and Myers from England ..
David Dunne another former Irish chess champion and his partner Sheila Kelly ...they are doing some bridge training most nights I am told.
David Coyne and Thomas Roche ... This Pair have shown well this year in Regent and National championships. Only legendary Irish bridge player Nick Fitzgibbon stopped Coyne stealing away with a couple of Regent bridge titles.
Hanlon and McGann .....they were in the bridge gym doing some press ups on Tuesday
Mevius Heneghan ... They seem to be playing together recently ... could be involved but not sure about their matchpoint skills ..
Oh better not forget Brid Kemple and Terry Walsh ...just in case they make the podium ..

So thats a summary of the entries so far in my small mind ... More later ..
.........................
On the poker side .. I won 41 cents in a couple of Betfair Freerolls ... I don't know how Thomas Hanlon makes a living .. maybe he is better than I ..

..................
Yesterday I declared a 4S contract and failed to make it

I was in the West seat with the 6 spades and the void heart ..The opponentss were silent in the bidding 
and led off with the Heart 3. Galligan won Heart AK and played a third H throwing all 3 diamonds.

East won 3rd heart and switched a small diamond ..Galligan ruffed and led a small spade towards the Q9.
Small from LHO without even a flicker (even online people flicker) and Galligan played the Spade 9 ..
and when the Jack won and trumps subsequently broke 4-1 Galligan started to feel a lump in his throat.
Galligan went down and felt a little sad .... but it was only 10 imps back of the 42 imps plundered on the previous 10 boards or so ..

Then he spotted on the screen glaring out in front of him 

SLOPPY 
.............................
I hope none of ye would ever do that to your partners at the table ...Its bad enough going down in a cold one but to have it solidly pushed back down your throat ...just in case you don't know about it ..
And there I was sitting in to help a person out whose partner left the table ..
SLOPPY
That will teach me
................................


www.fob.ie  has the current entry list. 

Nobody from Northern Ireland entered yet .. 
No Murchan or Greenwood or Bunty

......................









No comments: